2 Kings 6: 1-3 – « Now the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, “See, the place where we dwell under your charge is too small for us. Let us go to the Jordan and each of us get there a log, and let us make a place for us to dwell there.” And he answered, “Go.” Then one of them said, “Be pleased to go with your servants.” And he answered, “I will go. »
The servants of God understood that it was time to move to a higher dimension because where they were was « too small. » We see 3 principles, important for enlargement, to target in prayer:
a) Interdependence: The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob accomplishes His plan by inter-generational action: it was the SONS of the prophets who remarked that the place where they were had become too small. They understood that the work of God required an enlargement. Often it is the young people of a church who detect certain needs that escape others. They have a different perspective from, but complementary to, those of the elders.
b) Initiatives: Instead of complaining, instead of murmuring, these sons anticipated enlargement and made a specific proposal: to go beyond their « comfort zone » to provide the necessary material. It is imperative in a church to allow, and even encourage, initiatives that contribute to the work of God, and especially to the apostolic mandate of a congregation. Ideas and suggestions should be brought to leaders for confirmation. Elisha approved their idea because in his heart he had the testimony that it was time to go.
c) Inclusion: One of the sons invited Elisha to accompany them. He was not put aside, nor considered too old or too weak to go with them. His presence and participation carried weight, provided spiritual covering, and added spiritual authority. His willingness to go reveals his insight into the heart of God. His experience would contribute to their success.
Thanks to these 3 principles, a miracle occurred in their action! In verses 5 to 7, an unfortunate accident occurred: one of the workers dropped the axe head into the water. It was a necessary element for the accomplishment of the work! Without his tool, a worker can feel useless, and even guilty of having made a mistake. His effectiveness in serving is limited. But by a miracle of God, the axe head rose to the surface! It is during a season of enlargement that gifts and talents hidden « under water » emerge. God causes what seems to be « lost » to reappear.
- In the presence of the Lord today, pray over the following topics:
- The generational connection: with whom should you join to achieve enlargement? Write down the names of these people and the context in which you will end up.
- What initiative (s) does God raise in your mind, to continue this year? Write them down and invite them to God in prayer.
- Spiritual covering: How could you obtain support and protection in this process of personal enlargement, as well as in the corporate enlargement?
- What miracle (s) do you want to see manifested to fulfill your calling? Write them down and add some promises from the Bible.